Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sibling Bonding: The MIM

To start off: the MIM is the musical instrument museum. It's the only one of its kind, & they decided to build it at a random intersection right off the 101 freeway. I wish I knew why.
Anyways, my mom decided that Sami (my 9 year old sister) & I needed to get out of the house, so she sent us to explore the MIM. I thought that a museum of instruments could either be a mega-bust or just the opposite.
The top floor was broken up into rooms based on region: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia, East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania, Latin America, United States/ Canada, & Europe.
The bottom floor had different galleries where you could play some of the instruments, see self-playing instruments, & a gallery of famous artists.
Sami spent most of the time telling me that I could get her this or that outlandish instrument for her birthday. One of the security guards thought that she was serious & tried to explain that the instruments in the gallery were not for sale, they were just for looking at. I didn't have the heart to tell him that she did not really want an enormous Asian gong for her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment